Saturday, March 30, 2013

"I can feel their blue hands touching me"


Street Spirit (Fade Out) is the final track of The Bends, the second studio album from the English band, Radiohead. I chose this video because it transmits the meaning of its song in an artistic way. The black and white effects, the falls, the sadness, everything. But more than a meaning, it transmits a huge emotion that everybody runs away from: pain. Even when you’re feeling okay, if you listen to this song carefully and get into it, its –let’s call it- “black magic” will involve you completely. Each note, chord and word complements with everything in this song, giving you the chance to enter to this weak bubble that will provide you a full emotional experience. 

I won’t give you the meaning or message of this song, because if I do, I'd be destroying your interpretation of it, and that’s not what I want. But here’s what Thom Yorke, lead singer of the band, says about the song:
 ‘Street Spirit’ is our purest song, but I didn’t write it…. It wrote itself. We were just its messengers (…) It is the dark tunnel without the light at the end. It represents all tragic emotion that is so hurtful that the sound of that melody is its only definition. (…) Our fans are braver than I to let that song penetrate them, or maybe they don’t realize what they’re listening to. They don’t realize that ‘Street Spirit’ is about staring the fucking devil right in the eyes… and knowing, no matter what the hell you do, he’ll get the last laugh…and it’s real…and true…
People need to let their emotions out once in a while, it is healthy. Now you can listen to Street Spirit (Fade Out) down here. Enjoy it and tell me what you think about it!


PS: I recommend you to use headphones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment