Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Getting to know Africa


Just the other day, in one of our classes we were discussing and talking about the great influence the British Empire had in the world, especially in its forming colonies. At some point Miss Cárdenas asked us about what we knew about Africa. I was rather impressed to realize how extremely little we knew about it. I mean, no one could give a decent answer.


            I myself had never stopped to think about it. All I could think about in that moment was ‘lions, cheetahs, poverty and starvation’ (In my defence, I do know a little bit more about it, but this is just what came to my mind in that particular moment). But actually, that’s what we get from History and media.
            My first thought after this was that we learn the history concerning the western culture. Africa had little, if anything, influence in what we call the Western World.  Most history as we know it was written in Europe and the Middle East. Of course other parts of the world, like China, India and others have had written histories for centuries, but much is unknown to the West, or has only become known within the last century. But most of this was thought to be useless unless it had something to do with Europe or America.

Africa Before Transatlantic Slavery

            But, people from the south of the Sahara didn’t write. So that’s where the problem lays. What we get to hear about this continent is how ‘the evil white men came and spoiled everything’ after the colonization.
However, Africa has got so much more to it than that. Its significance is not only that it suffered at the hands of white people. But long before white men ventured below the Sahara, Africa was a busy and very diverse group of thousands of languages and communities living in a manner that reflected their adaptations to the local climate.

Africa has the largest biodiversity of all the continents, and it was the origin of our species and the home to our closest relatives, chimpanzees. We tend to think of Africa as the ‘black people’ land, but this view is based on the African Americans who were brought as slaves from western areas of Africa. But there are dozens of other ‘races’, such as the pygmie people from Congo and other groups from the east.



 All this concerning Africa just made me remember how I felt about History in school; being a History lover, I wanted to learn more about eastern culture as I have always thought of it as an extremely fascinating topic, but we were taught almost none. Yes, I know this has to do with a time problem, because yeah, we are part of the Western World so it must be prioritized, but I just wish we could get to learn more about this interesting cultures.

            

3 comments:

  1. Actually I also asked myself why I did not know enough about Africa in itself, if always general culture teaches us a little of "this and that". In my view, before asking myself and reading this post, I had not thought of Africa having the greatest biodiversity in all continents of the world, and that there would come our evolutionary principle. Thank you very much for your post Genoveva.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an interesting post! I believe that ignorance about Africa is not related with indifference but with our history. It´s necessary to consider the reality of slavery in this part of the continent. Most of African descendants are mainly concentrated in the Caribbean and Brazil, as a consequence of the tropical plantings in the past. In our country the number of slaves was lowest. Perhaps this is the reason of the lack of knowledge.
    In this sense it is interesting what is shown in documentary “El Milagro del Candeal”. It exposes the influence of African culture in Cuba and Brazil, through the music. It’s recognition to the roots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I have always looked Africa as a special part of the world, that in fact you can’t colonize, because there are so many tribes, and life, that even if you try to, they one way or another will emerge, it’s true that in school we don’t see much about Africa, I think nobody really worries about their history, about the pain they suffer, about their traditions and about how they have make it until now, because there are a lot of tribes in Africa that have live more than civilized countries.
    I really like your post and it gave me a lot to think of, thanks

    ReplyDelete